Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Coffee 1.2 (Bialetti Moka Express)

Today I used my new Bialetti Moka Express cappuccino and latte set. This is a recent addition to my collection of coffee brewers and the first one for espresso (different from the traditional espresso using high pressure). I'm not an expert with coffee so I won't pretend that I am. I'm just an average joe with a particular love, no obsession, for coffee. Ok my experience:
Bialetti Vacuum Pot / Stove-Top espresso is surely simple to use. Load the funnel filter with espresso grounds, load the bottom chamber with water, place on a stove, wait a few minutes, and you have your espresso. Simple isn't it? But the end product has several important differences from traditional espresso. One, there's no crema (although there's a Bialetti model with a cover on the spout to create crema). I'm not yet well-versed with the intricacies of espresso tasting (though I've honed my palate with press and drip brew) so I can't help you in discriminating its taste. The important plus side for me is cost, its way cheaper than buying an espresso machine. It's also easier to maintain (rinse with water after use), very portable with a go-anywhere design, and its gives you a sense of nostalgia. The accompanying milk frother is another plus for the Moka Express. Just don't make the mistake of drinking all of it in one go, remember its espresso not drip/press.

No comments:

Post a Comment